- (forthcoming 2016) “Digital Piracy.” Handbook of Digital Media and Social Practice. Springer.
- (forthcoming 2016) “Shadow Libraries: Access to Educational Materials in the Digital Age.” American Assembly.
- Notice and Takedown in Everyday Practice, with Jennifer Urban and Brianna Schofield. American Assembly, 2016.
- “The Rise of the Robo Notice.” With Jennifer Urban. Communications of the ACM. September 2015.
- (translation from French) “Profiles of the Unfinished: Rodin’s Work and the Varieties of Incompleteness,” with Emmanuelle Saada in Pierre-Michel Menger, The Economics of Creativity, Harvard University Press, 2015.
- “Can Pirates Fix a Broken Movie Market in Ecuador?” With Evelin Heidel and Ezekiel Acuna. Ars Technica, Jan 12, 2014.
- Periodicals and blogs, 2011-2016: Media Piracy in Emerging Economies (regular blog), The New York Times, Bloomberg View, The National Review, Techdirt, Torrentfreak, The Huffington Post.
- “Copy Culture in the US and Germany,” with Lennart Renkema. American Assembly, 2013.
- “Transnational Piracy Research in Practice: A Roundtable Interview with Joe Karaganis, John Cross, Olga Sezneva and Ravi Sundaram.” Lobato and Thomas eds. Television and New Media, 2012.
- Media Piracy in Emerging Economies, 2011, SSRC Press. Editor and Contributor:
- “Chapter 1: Rethinking Piracy”; “Chapter 2: Networked Governance,” with Sean Flynn; “Chapter 4: Russia,” with Olga Sezneva.
Forthcoming Chinese edition by Tsinghua University Press, 2016.
Selections published in Portuguese in Brazil Pirata, Brazil Original. FGV 2015.
Also available in Spanish and Russian.
- “Cultures of Collaboration in Media Research,” in Napoli and Aslama, Communication Research in Action. Fordham University Press, 2011.
- “Media Piracy in Emerging Economies: Price, Market Structure, and Consumer Behavior.” WIPO Advisory Committee on Enforcement Working Paper, 2010.
- “On Making Public Policy with Publicly Available Data: The Case of U.S. Communications Policymaking,” with Philip Napoli. Government Information Quarterly. Vol. 27, no.4. 2010.
- “Broadband Adoption in Low-Income Communities,” with Alison Powell, Dharma Dailey, Amelia Bryne, and Jaewon Chung. Commissioned by the FCC. March 2010, SSRC Press.
- “Toward a Federal Data Agenda for Media and Communications Policymaking,” with Philip Napoli. CommLaw Conspectus, Catholic University, v.1, no.16, 2008: pp.53-96.
- Structures of Participation in Digital Culture, Editor, Columbia University Press / SSRC Books, 2007.
- “Freedom of Expression: Ford Foundation History and Opportunities,” with Waad El-Hadidy. SSRC Press, 2007.
- “The Bellagio Global Dialogues on Intellectual Property, 2002-2005,” Rockefeller Foundation Report, 2006.
- “The Politics of Open Source Adoption,” editor. “Introduction” with Robert Latham, 2005.
- Oxford Dictionary of the Social Sciences, Associate Editor, Oxford University Press, 2002.
- “Critical Theory and Cultural Critique,” The Handbook of Political Sociology, Oxford University Press, 2000; co-authored with Craig Calhoun, pp. 168-194.
- “Naturalism’s Nation: Toward An American Tragedy,” American Literature, 72: 1 March, 2000, pp.153-180.
- “Negotiating the National Voice in Faulkner’s Late Work,” Arizona Quarterly, 54:4 Winter, 1998, pp.53-81.
- reprinted in Essays on Intruder in the Dust, Patrick Samway, ed. Philadelphia: Saint Joseph’s University Press, 2004.